Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hopes and Fears - Why Bother?

All the indie gaming gurus say 'start a production blog, talk about your project, play the social game.' But honestly, why bother? I read blogs for insight and inspiration - the kind you get from developers who craft two amazing games in the time it takes me to learn one new API. I would describe many of these people as 'genius level.'

I would describe myself as 'unremarkable and occasionally competent.' Not the stuff blogs are made of, in other words. So I resisted.

But then I got to thinking.

For as long as I can remember, people have told me that I'm remarkably good at two things, both intimately related: staying motivated & hopeful, and articulating my anxieties & fears. And I found myself thinking, maybe I do have something to offer. Because while you may not see them listed on a CV, they're the most bountiful and universally applicable skills in my otherwise meager arsenal, and the root of every ounce of success that I can claim to enjoy.

So that's what this blog is going to be about: the hopes and fears of indie game development. And my sincere hope is that someone out there - someone who isn't a genius, someone who's struggling - will find some insight and inspiration in my words, and keep going.

Oh, and I'll be plugging the shit out of the game I'm working on.

But more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment